Thursday, February 17, 2011

15 Minutes

I had exactly 15 minutes today between work and kids to give the bike a try. With two exceptions, it was really good and a lot of fun. The first exception is that I need to commit and either get new shoes or new pedals. I'll explore those options. My guess is that I'll accept the fact that while intimidating, clip ons will be the way to go. Every person I know who has them has told me that A - they love them, and B - they crashed a few times in the process of getting used to them (usually publicly).
The second exception includes a neighbor of mine. I actually don't know exactly where he lives, but for the five years that we've been in our house, he has periodically surfaced to pressure us for employment, throw rocks at our animals, or slur obscenities. Just be glad he isn't your neighbor. In any event, after getting on the bike and riding past the first two houses, Neighbor Weirdo comes waltzing out in front of me. Grrrr. He of course thinks this is hilarious as he blocks my way. In retrospect I guess I could have sped up and tried to go around him, but he's so unpredictable. It was only a brief moment, but I was soured that my first bike ride had to start that way.

The remaining 14 minutes were a blast. : ) I felt like a little kid riding up and down the streets, but it was good to get more comfortable on the bike and remind my body of what to do.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly who you're talking about and where he lives too. Ugh. Glad you were able to shake it off and enjoy your ride. We're actually going to dust off our bikes this afternoon and go for a ride too!

    ReplyDelete