Saturday, March 17, 2012

Rock N Roll Half

THANK YOU to my running friends for convincing me to sign up for the Rock N Roll Half Marathon. Biggest thanks go to Erika for not only having the idea but then for convincing the lot of us that it was a good one.

I'm tired, so this post will be short, but here's a quick overview of our race:


7:30ish - Meryl (looking adorably festive), Me, Nick & Heather - we smiled for a picture before saying good luck and sending Meryl off to her corral farther toward the front.


(You may notice I am the only one who still looks nervous even while smiling.)

The race officially began at 8:00am, and in corral 26 (out of 27 total!), we crossed the start about 40 minutes later. Aside from my calves being extremely tight, I was shocked by how good it felt to be running and that I could breathe well. Heather and Nick had a 12/min/mile plan, and it was perfect for me. It's thanks to them especially that I was able to keep going today.

My revised hope for the race based on how I've been feeling for the past several weeks was to run what I could, walk the rest, and catch a ride with the sweep van if necessary. As we were running my goal kept changing. First I wanted to run the initial 5K before walking... then it was the first five miles... then I needed to walk for about a minute on a seemingly neverending hill near the end of the seventh mile but was ready to run again. I did that twice more during the first ten miles for a total of six minutes of walk time, and I was ESTATIC. Who cares that they weren't super fast miles? I've never run that far in my life! After seeing the 10, I admitted to Nick that I was really tired, was terribly proud of both of us, and needed to do more fast walking than running for the final 5K. It was time to enjoy the sunshine and my playlist.

Meeting up with the rest of our group at the end was great. I was so proud of all of everyone and grateful to be with them.

Here we are again with Erika and Lauren. What a great group of people.




Oh... my chip time was 2:50:07. I think corral 26 would be proud.



No comments:

Post a Comment