Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mitochondria

In February I came across a link shared by Holly Would If She Could (as opposed to yours truly - Holly Tries Her Darndest And Is Gradually Becoming The Adult She Wants To Be). The link was to a YouTube video of Dr. Terry Wahls presenting her work on the relationships between nutritional deficiencies and chronic ailments, auto-immune disorders and disease.

Like most people I know, I've understood for a while that Omega-3s are GOOD and processed foods are BAD. What I've been missing is the WHY part. The basic gist from my understanding of what she says is that the mitochondria in our cells (the project managers so to speak) are not being fueled appropriately, and so our cells struggle, and sickness can follow.

I went from that video to another, to another, to another, to finally ordering her book, Minding My Mitochondria, and I am now working on following her suggestions and moving my diet in the direction that she recommends - 3 cups of leafy green vegetables, 3 cups of brightly colored fruits and vegetables, and ANOTHER 3 cups of vegetables of your choice, grass-fed meats (I didn't realize that in addition to concerns about hormones that a big difference between grass-fed and corn-fed meats is Omega-6s versus Omega-3s), and organ meats.

Since I've been frustrated for years with random, unexplained symptoms, and for several months this winter being either sick, tired, or sick and tired, I'm in a place where I'm pretty much open to trying anything! Dr. Wahls mentions functional medicine as a health care approach, so I googled it, found the Institute for Functional Medicine, located a doctor in my area, and made an appointment. The doctor was AH-mazing. She spent close to TWO HOURS with me. In addition to strongly encouraging a good diet, she presented a thorough plan of tests and hypothesized that I may have a food allergy that has been at the base of everything. It is going to take a few months to figure it all out, and there is always the possibility that nothing turns up as an easy fix, but I'm hopeful.

2011 was about physically moving, and I'm already so much better and happier than I was a year ago. It is exciting to think that 2012 might add a layer of a more informed, healthier diet on top of the progress I've made.

As you know, I'm all about the team approach. If anyone wants to figure this stuff out together, just let me know!



1 comment:

  1. This sounds great, Holly!! I know it's a big step to 'know' the thing to do... sounds like you're headed in the right direction. :)

    ReplyDelete