Monday, October 3, 2011

Wounded Warrior 4.7

Sunday morning was my first race that involved going beyond the 5K comfort zone, and I am thrilled to say that it went really well. The final results have been posted, and oddly enough the chip time and the gun time were identical for all participants. Given that Dee Dee and I were towards the rear of the pack waiting for the start, I know we didn't cross the start line at the exact moment that the horn sounded. In fact, I expected more of an announcement, or group warm up, or... something. It was just "hhhooonnnkkk" and then everyone started moving. Either way, chip time or gun time or wrist watch, we ran the 4.7 miles in exactly 47 minutes. I was hoping for anything under 50:00, so realizing that we were maintaining a 10:00/mile pace was great.

Here's a quick break down of my race:

Mile One
Me: Okay, start slowly.... Oh! Love the new opening song.... La la la happy happy happy
(Exchanged some type of start-of-race pleasantries with Dee Dee)
Me: So in my last triathlon, I rode my bike with a really nice girl and half the way through it, she kept slowing down. My point here of course is that you are not supposed to wait for me. Run a good race!
Dee Dee: Laughter
Me: No really.

Mile Two
Me: Loosening up, oh, er, @#$#... so much for pacing with the iPod. Stupid buttons. C'mon Rhianna....
Dee Dee: We're right at a 10:00/mile!
Me: Um, oh good! Oh crap, can I keep running like this the entire way?

Mile Three
Me: 5K would be over, so I'm 2/3 through. God Bless Dee Dee for running with me.
Dee Dee: (Thumbs up sign at exactly 3 miles to let me know we're still at the same pace.)

Mile Four
Me: Body check... heart good, lungs good, legs starting to whimp out.... Love my new playlist.... feeling tired.... Is that lady really pushing a seven-year-old in her jogging stroller?
Dee Dee: Getting water - we're almost finished!

Final .7 miles
Me: I am so ready for this to be over.
Dee Dee: Only five more minutes!
Me: Thank God for Dee Dee.
Random Guy #1: Best quarter mile yet!
Me: Yep, but if I sprint now, I'll die 100 yards before the finish line.
Random Guy #2: Only a quarter of a mile to go!
Me: That's what the last guy said two minutes ago.
Random Girl: Last quarter mile!
Me: What the heck? Who are these people and who lets them cheer on runners?!

And then we turned a corner, and we were done! The first guy was probably right, and there may have been some sprint stored up in me left, but what a great feeling to cross the finish line and feel like I actually had more to give.

The sky opened, we had a quick shower and headed to the car. On the way home, the clouds parted and we drove by a beautiful and complete rainbow.

And for anyone interested, here's the playlist:

Breakin' Up - Rilo Kiley
Dynamite - Taio Cruz
Hips Don't Lie - Shakira
What I've Done - Marie Digby
Umbrella - Rhianna
Pocket Full of Sunshine - Jia Clayton
The Fear - Lily Allen
Mad World - Adam Lambert
Survivor - Destiny's Child
Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas
Set Fire to the Rain - Adele
Price Tag - Jesse J
I Write Sins Not Tragedies - Panic at the Disco
Forever and Almost Always - Kate Voegele


No comments:

Post a Comment