Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Eeyouch!

I got in the pool last night for the first time this year and gently swam thirty lengths, and it felt pretty good. My breathing was every three strokes to make sure that I got plenty of air, and I was sure to go just fast enough to raise my heart rate but slow enough to be able to keep going and not push it on my muscles.

Apparently, that was too much. Waking up this morning was terrible! I felt like I'd been hit by a truck as I forced myself out of bed. All day today - through my run this morning and all of my activities since - I've moved gingerly and a little slower than usual. Now I know that swimming uses a lot of different muscle groups, and I knew that those groups hadn't been really active for quite a while, but clearly I did NOT know the affect those laps would have. Ugh. I think my back is crying... if that's possible.

Of course, the only way to work through this is go get back in the water, so tomorrow my plan is for another am run and a pm swim. I have five and a half weeks left to get myself ready for this race in July. The distances on their own are fine, but putting them all together still worries me. At least I know that I'm getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment