Thursday, June 23, 2011

2 Weeks

Every step is a good step. Every step is a good step. I was out this morning after taking over a week hiatus from the early routine. I didn't go far, and I ended up walking quite a bit to bring my heart rate down, but I was out, and right now that's all that counts.

After the zumba class two weeks ago, I woke up with an odd feeling in my right knee. By the next day I was limping, and it took almost an entire week to shake it out and feel as though I hadn't done too much damage. On top of that, my stomach has been less than pleased with me, and I haven't a clue as to why. Every time I ran for about a week and a half, my stomach would cramp up. I know this happens to marathoners, but to very slow moving moms going out for only 2-3 miles??? A month ago I was all prepped to drop gluten from my diet, and then my gastroenterologist said to try dropping lactose instead. We'll see. Rolled all together, during the past two weeks I haven't been feeling very physically active or happy with my progress. We skipped the family 5K on Father's Day. Combined with the way that I was feeling, the forecast was for thunderstorms, the jogging stroller had tire issues, and the daughter was a grump about the whole idea. I can't stand signing up for something and not seeing it through.

It isn't that I haven't done anything. I have enjoyed at least one good bike ride and a couple of good swims thankfully. I went for a run last week with a friend and made it over three miles before my stomach hurt, and went back to zumba last night and just shook a little less and cut out the turns. I'm achy for sure, and my hip is sore, but my hip is always sore so I'm okay with that. My knee feels fine, and as I said, every step is a good step as far as my mornings are concerned.

Looking both directions for past and future, the tri is two weeks away. I am so hopeful that my body is in a good place for the event. I keep reminding myself that the distances are short - 425 meter swim, 12 mile bike, 2.6 mile run; I know I can at least do it and survive, and that this race is really personal research into the whole sport of triathlon. Still, I'd rather it be a good race than a junky one.

No comments:

Post a Comment