Monday, May 20, 2013

GOTR 5K - Ultimate DJ Fail

Yesterday was my daughter's last GOTR 5k. She ran with her Godmother, and we drove another friend and her teenage buddy runner, making it five in my car. It seems like I can't look anywhere these days without seeing GOTR spirit, shout outs, etc. I check FB and many of my friends are involved or their daughters participate. I check my FB page and the page news feed, and the whole world of triathlon and running bleeds GOTR. I check Twitter (which I only recently started using for work and still don't really get other than I have immediate access to tons of school counseling news), and you'd think GOTR was running for election. It's everywhere. GOTR goodness! We love GOTR! Can't wait to do it again! Go (insert local GOTR chapter here)!

Most of my GOTR experiences have been tremendously positive. My daughter has just finished her fifth season, and I've coached three. I love the progression of the lessons - self (personal values, value, respect, nutrition, etc.), direct relationships (qualities of a good friend, peer pressure, bullying, etc.), and community (the impact that a respected and respectful girl can have on her broader community). Love it - all of that. It's school counselor-y stuff, I get into it, and I believe in it.

A few of my GOTR experiences have been frustrating - like the race in Dec. '11 when 11 of my 20 girls made it to the start line due to the horrible traffic back up, and I saw my runners as well as friends from my neighborhood ditch their cars, jump ropes, and hop into the race mid-way just to participate. Like the fact that when I started coaching each girl had an allowance of $20 that the coach could spend for reimbursement for their healthy snacks, and recently that number has been cut in half. Who can buy 20 healthy snacks (one for each practice) for $10? The answer is, that most of the coaches I know now dish out pre-packaged, preservative filled bars of some sort, or even goldfish. Everyone has their own definition of healthy, but I just don't see that lining up with modeling healthy snack choices for girls aged 8-12. Or like the fact that the cost of the program hasn't diminished, yet less money seems to be spent on the girls, and the majority of parents that I have spoken to have assumed that the coaches get paid.

And then a couple of my GOTR experiences have made me want to distance myself from GOTR, which is sad, or at least I feel a bit sad about it. Yesterday I had a few. The first was leaving my house at 5:45 for an 8:30 race, picking up my passengers, and hitting a complete stop at 6:20 at the exit off the highway. I had anticipated the stop given how GOTR races can go (unless they are at our local university, they seem to be a gigantic driving/parking cluster) and assumed that we would spend an hour in the car. At 8:10 we were finally parked and headed to the corrals. Our moods lifted and we were ready to be happy again and excited about the race that was about to start.

The second was getting out of the car and hearing Da' Butt. Emily's buddy runner summed it up perfectly when she pronounced, "Ultimate DJ fail." Um. Sort of counter to EVERYTHING that we are trying to teach the girls. But um, whatever. Okay.

Beyond Da' Butt, I was disappointed to learn that the girls would no longer be timed and that $15,000 had been spent on a Jumbotron. Hmmm... less healthy snacks, no way to track personal goals, and a Jumbotron? Is there a world in which any boys' event would have taken out the timing?! I get that they want everyone to feel good (everyone got a "1" bib this time instead of a bib number - I can't even address this from a "green" standpoint, which btw, GOTR portrays), but my kid has done this five times. OF COURSE she is looking for a time! Finding out that it wasn't timed was the biggest let down for her. She basically said that she thought the whole thing was ridiculous, and for once, it was hard for me to disagree.

Girls on the Run, what is going on? 10,000 people showed up for this. I don't know about the rest of you, but four hours in the car to stand around and then not be able to run because the course wasn't planned for the number of people doesn't sound all that respectful of the girls, their parents, their buddy runners or their coaches. We paid $165 for the season, and her buddy runner had to pay $25 to run/walk with her. Her coach doesn't get paid, although I know she's spent tons of her own money in order to provide the healthy snacks that she believes are important. Her coach is wonderful, but she shouldn't have to do that.

There were some really happy moments during the day, and I don't mean to say that there weren't. My buddy runner was AWESOME and happy and great to be with anyway, so in no way am I saying that it was entirely a bust, but I really wanted her to be able to run if she wanted to. After the race we had a great time, photos were taken, memories were made, etc., etc., etc. I even have a picture of my kid AND her amazing coach on the Jumbotron. Still, I got back in the car at 10:30, left the parking lot at 11:40, and got home at 12:45. At what point do we really talk about self-respect?!

Signature Fonts

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! GOTR organizers REALLY blew it this time and I'm sorry to say that I am glad that I don't have to do another GOTR run/race. As you know, I've run in a few races and never have I had to deal with such frustration, chaos and disorganization and so much time driving, sitting in my car in traffic (it took me almost 2 hours to get there and I think we must have arrived at the same time because I remember that song playing as my daughter & I were slogging across the parking area to the corrals), or standing around in the cold rain waiting for the race to start, miserable. If they want to instill a love for running and encourage participation in organized races, that certainly isn't the way to do it! It will only turn them off. So much of their program is wonderful and the run is supposed to be their crowning achievement after all of their work throughout the season but it's gotten to be such a let down and exercise in frustration. They really sucked all the fun out of as far as I'm concerned. And the jumbotron was RIDICULOUS! I had no idea that it cost that much. Appalling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, I am sad but agree with you that it could become a deterrent. The race size has just clearly outgrown what is consistently doable in the area. Thank you for taking the time to comment. It helps knowing that I wasn't alone in these feelings!

    ReplyDelete